10 romantic things to do in Melbourne
The cosy laneways, the glorious parks, the award-winning restaurants - Melbourne was made for lovebirds. So without further ado, here are our top suggestions:
The best romantic things to do in Melbourne
1. Lay down a picnic rug at the fanciest of picnic spots – the nineteenth century Ribbon Lea House and Gardens. While just a 20 minute drive from the CBD, you’ll feel part of a different world with its grand buildings, romantic gardens and wide sweeping fields. BYO cucumber sandwiches!
2. Be a tourist in your own city and take a ride on the Melbourne Star Observation Wheel. A 30-minute ride, you’ll have ample time to enjoy the views of the city, Port Phillip Bay, Mount Macedon and the Dandenong Ranges… with a few moments left over to exchange sweet nothings with your loved one!
3. Watch the sunset from the Eureka Skydeck 88 for knock-out panoramic views of the city. A word of warning though; the transparent floors aren’t for the faint-hearted – stick to the Skydeck if you’re not a fan of heights.
GET OUT THERE! Click on the yellow hearts below to find date locations near you!
READ MORE: Want to forget the city for a couple of days? Check out our top Melbourne weekend getaways!
4. Enjoy la dolce vita at Il Solito Posto on Collins Street. The food is consistently top notch and the atmosphere exudes warmth and romance.
5. Engage with your partner’s passion! Especially if it’s something out of your comfort zone, it shows your partner that you’re willing to put your ego aside to see them in their element. If your partner is a passionate singer, head out for some karaoke. If they like to paint, pose for a portrait. If your partner loves to eat, prepare a three course meal. Do it all – in the name of love!
6. Feel the wind in your hair at St Kilda Pier, where all sunswept dreams become a reality. Grab a bite to eat at Little Blue restaurant, and gaze out onto Port Philip Bay. Simple but stunning, this is one of the best romantic things to do in Melbourne.
READ MORE: Just getting to know each other? Here are some of our top date ideas for the early stage of dating!
7. Fly high over the hustle and bustle of city life and take a balloon ride with the Balloon Man. There’s nothing like panoramic views and the rising sun to express your feelings.
8. Swoon at the 360 views on offer at Vue de Monde. An elegant fine dining restaurant, Couples who appreciate the finer things in life can swoon at the 360 degree views of the city while enjoying some of the best tastes of Melbourne. Or Madame Brussels at the other end of Bourke Street.
9. Try something novel… If you love discussing meaty topics and like to see your partner flex their cerebral muscle, then head to the 'Big Ideas in the Pub', a book club held once a month at the Courthouse Hotel.
10. Get great value!
Many of the romantic things to do in Melbourne can be pricey, so if you're looking for something on a budget there are lots of free events and activites to be found online at That’s Melbourne. From local exhibitions to food markets and even pottery classes, there's something for every couple - just make sure to book ahead if given the option.
READ MORE: How to find love and companionship in Melbourne.